Clear All

• CORVETTE RACING AT ROAD AMERICA: Second, Third in GTLM Qualifying

PRESS RELEASE:
    Taylor, Gavin put in strong showings behind wheel of mid-engine Corvette
    C8.Rs

CORVETTE RACING AT ROAD AMERICA: Second, Third in GTLM Qualifying
    Taylor, Gavin put in strong showings behind wheel of mid-engine Corvette
    C8.R

ELKHART LAKE, Wis. (Aug. 1, 2020) – Corvette Racing will roll off second and
    third in the GT Le Mans (GTLM) category of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar
    Championship for Sunday’s fourth round of the series at Road America.

Jordan Taylor and Oliver Gavin were the fastest qualifiers in the pair of
    mid-engine Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C8.Rs in Saturday’s 15-minute
    qualifying session. Taylor set a lap of 2:00.854 (120.581 mph) in the No. 3
    Corvette followed closely by Gavin in the No. 4 C8.R with a lap of 2:00.904
    (120.531 mph). Both were slightly behind pole-winner Laurens Vanthoor but
    very much on pace around the 4.048-mile, 14-turn road course.

Corvette Racing is on a two-race winning streak in the class. Championship
    leaders Taylor and Antonio Garcia won a month ago at Daytona following a
    lengthy break due to the COVD-19 pandemic, followed by a victory for Gavin
    and Tommy Milner two weeks ago at Sebring.

The team has seven victories at Road America, and Corvette Racing held its
    first on-track test of the C8.R at the circuit in 2018.

The 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray will serve as Official Pace Car for the
    IMSA rounds of the WeatherTech Championship and Michelin Pilot Challenge at
    Road America. Named by MotorTrend as 2020 Car of the Year, the 2020 Stingray
    is Chevrolet’s first mid-engine production Corvette. It features a 6.2-liter
    V8 engine with an output of 495hp, goes from 0-60 mph in less than three
    seconds and achieves a top speed of 194 mph.

Both the Corvette Stingray and Corvette C8.R were developed simultaneously
    with a deeper level of technology transfer between the race car and a
    production Corvette than ever before, which helps contribute to many of its
    advancements. As a result, the C8.R shares the highest percentage of parts
    between the production and race car than any previous generation.

The IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship at Road America is scheduled for
    12:05 p.m. ET on Sunday with live network coverage on NBC plus streaming
    options on the NBC Sports App. IMSA Radio will broadcast the race on XM 202,
    SiriusXM Online 972 and at IMSA.com, which also will host live timing and
    scoring.

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R – QUALIFIED
    SECOND IN GTLM: "It was a good day. It wasn't the smoothest that we've had
    all year but we got good direction on the car this morning with what we
    wanted to do for changes ahead of qualifying. Those showed really well, and
    the Corvette was really nice to drive. We're still using this as a little
    bit of a test session as we haven't tested here before with these cars.
    There are a few more areas where we can make some improvements and gains for
    the race. But to be second and third today is a good start. We're not sure
    where everyone is on tire strategy, and once again it looks like it could
    rain again. It'll be good and it's good to start up front. This is a tough
    place to race with all the traffic and how narrow it is, but that's what
    makes it exciting."

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R – QUALIFIED
    THIRD IN GTLM: “It was a tight session. Certainly we were looking to
    maximize everything that we had taken from the final practice with our
    Corvette. We knew we needed to improve a little bit in some spots. We worked
    away on it and did make some improvements, but also the track conditions had
    changed a little so we were chasing that somewhat as well as some of the
    changes we made. The qualifying session was very close. Tomorrow's race will
    very much be a story of tires. That will all unfold in those first few laps
    to see where we stack up with our competition. Plus most likely there will
    be some rain at some point. Whether it comes during the race or not, we will
    see. Everyone at Corvette Racing is quietly confident. The Corvette has been
    competitive the last couple of races. This race tomorrow will be hard, but
    we have the best team on the pitlane a great car in the C8.R. We will be
    ready."

Thank you “cor123” for again being so helpful with C8.R information. Go start for us to be qualified 2nd & 3rd. Now on to crossing the finish line 1st.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Thanks cor123 , It would be nice to know what technology the C8R and the Stingray share. Surely not the engine or Trans.
      Rocket City Florida

Comment

C8R out front so far. At 12:24 Click image for larger version  Name:	DCB39223-C0D8-4A4F-A9AE-FB716F73D069.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.28 MB ID:	174103
        RED ,C8. 2LT Z51.black wheels and trim. .... Order status 6000 car is home in garage
        .VIN.1906

Comment

Corvettes #1 and #2

Comment

Not how we wanted to see the race end and definitely not how we want to see Corvette get the sweep but I think they deserve it after the unfair BOP during the first Sebring race.

Comment

Spoiler alert :

.. Corvette Takes 1-2 Finish After BMW Spin

Antonio Garcia and Jordan Taylor scored their second class victory in the last three races following a crazy conclusion to the GT Le Mans battle, in a 1-2 finish for Corvette Racing.

Garcia crossed the line ahead of the No. 4 Chevrolet Corvette C8.R of Tommy Milner after an accident for the No. 24 BMW M8 GTE of John Edwards on the second-to-last lap.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5E600D5C-1B20-4817-9E7C-E09312842F5E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	58.8 KB ID:	174169 team corvette today.
              Last edited by MikeC8; 08-02-2020, 02:51 PM.
              RED ,C8. 2LT Z51.black wheels and trim. .... Order status 6000 car is home in garage
              .VIN.1906

Comment

And/or the skill of the C8.R drivers in handling their cars better in the rain. And a little luck helped too.
                GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 22 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Did anyone see or hear what happened between the Porsche and BMW? I saw shots of them both off the course and the Porsche disabled, but never saw the altercation... or was there one? It just strikes me as odd that BOTH would end up off course without there having been a pass attempt by the BMW, or something like that.

It's in the books as a 1, 2 Corvette win... but you know there will be some Corvette engineers looking for more... There are much tighter corning situations at VIR where they're headed next (8/23).

Kelly
                  2021 HTC - Z51 - 3LT - FE4 (MagRide) - E60 (Front Lift) - EFY (Body Colored Accents) - Expected Delivery March '21

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                    And/or the skill of the C8.R drivers in handling their cars better in the rain.
                    My sentiment precisely. Let's hope the next race will be without rain. Was exciting to watch with tropical storm ISAIAS winds pounding our condo on the Hutchinson Barrier Island.
                    Heidi
                    Save the Wave

Comment

Team corvette is building quite the reputation with the new C8.R. I love it! May they dominate the next race too.

Comment

[QUOTE=kdlp;n174187]Did anyone see or hear what happened between the Porsche and BMW? I saw shots of them both off the course and the Porsche disabled, but never saw the altercation... or was there one? It just strikes me as odd that BOTH would end up off course without there having been a pass attempt by the BMW, or something like that.

I got this from 365 sportscars. Site

Edwards and the No. 911 Porsche 911 RSR-19 of Nick Tandy were involved in the incident in the Kink, which ultimately forced the race to end under caution.
                        Last edited by MikeC8; 08-02-2020, 03:34 PM.
                        .VIN.1906

Comment

Originally posted by kdlp View Post
                          Did anyone see or hear what happened between the Porsche and BMW? I saw shots of them both off the course and the Porsche disabled, but never saw the altercation... or was there one? It just strikes me as odd that BOTH would end up off course without there having been a pass attempt by the BMW, or something like that.

It's in the books as a 1, 2 Corvette win... but you know there will be some Corvette engineers looking for more... There are much tighter corning situations at VIR where they're headed next (8/23).

Kelly
                          Tandy (#911 Porsche) was running in 1st with Garcia (#3 Corvette) right behind him and Edwards (#24 BMW) next with Milner (#4 Corvette) close behind. Tandy lost it in the Kink due to the rain and Garcia pasted him to take over first. Within seconds Edwards ran off at the Kink as well which allowed Milner (#4 Corvette) to pass and take over 2nd. I agree with John...it was superior wet weather driving skills of Garcia and Milner.
                          Last edited by RoketRdr; 08-02-2020, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Sometimes when a driver in front of you wipes out, it is easy to focus on that car off to the side, and wham you become next off the course.

Comment

This is from Corvette Racing on the finish at the kink

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R – GTLM RACE-WINNER: “I was happy I wasn’t in the car at the end! It looked pretty miserable, especially on that lap before it went yellow. It looked like at the Kink that it had started pouring again. I don’t know if the BMW and Porsche got that message, and our guys relayed that to Antonio and thankfully he was able to tip-toe through there and make it through for the win. It’s proof that Corvette Racing never gives up, even when we were down-and-out a bit there in the middle. We never gave up.
                              “Our race went to a three-stop race strategy pretty early on. The way we were track-position wise, we saw the rain before the other guys and were able to duck in the pits before it went yellow for the first time. It was a great call and Antonio did a great job to survive the conditions and bring home another 1-2 finish for the Corvette C8.R.”

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R – GTLM RACE-WINNER: “Finally! It took me forever to win here. How wild was that? I don’t know how I got through the Kink there. From the Carousel, (Nick) Tandy and I were navigating and we had to go around the GTD cars… their leaders probably. I was risking a lot and obviously Nick was risking a lot too, as I saw later on. I don’t know how I made it through and I saw the 24 spinning too. It was just amazing. Obviously the Corvette C8.R navigates as well, too! We will take it. Another Corvette 1-2 today is just awesome!”
                              Corvette Racing News
                              .VIN.1906

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X