Lets talk about lightweight wheels!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk about lightweight wheels!

GM and Ford are adding lightweight wheels to the new Gt500 and the C8Z06. The effect of lightweight wheels is pretty big. Trying to justify adding Forgeline wheels to my two rides I did get a good deal. But it should add good performance to the cars. 1 pound unsprung weight is worth 4 pounds sprung weight so 40 off the wheels should feel 160 pounds lighter

Should get better handling, better braking, better steering and better 0-60 times.
    Anybody add them??

Yes! Reducing unsprung weight is the bomb for better performance. Not going to happen for the Z06 but moving shocks inboard like race cars would be a great addition (but I do not think is even possible).
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Anytime you can drop 40 lbs of unsprung weight you are going to enjoy your sportscars even more.

Did the 40lb drop include dumping the runflats?

I remember just dumping runflats early on used to deliver 26 pounds less unsprung weight and the dramatic improvement was like it shrunk the whole car down a size.

good luck and post up photos. Clue us in on how you find the driving experience changed.

although you have so much hp will you even feel the difference? That I dont know.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        Yes! Reducing unsprung weight is the bomb for better performance. Not going to happen for the Z06 but moving shocks inboard like race cars would be a great addition (but I do not think is even possible).
        Not much unsprung weight savings as only a portion of the shock weight is unsprung determined by the angle of the shock mount.
        Any thing is possible, if the engineering work is done. A better solution might be a shock mounted on the a arm to a bell crank with a roll link returning to the a arm…….that would eliminate the swaybars. This setup is on many very fast road race cars,,,,,,,just sayin
        3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

Waiting since June and just got the word my Forgeline wheels are on the way.

Comment

A random thought: I wonder if lighter wheels affects the ideal calibration of the MSRP, or if it's sophisticated enough to deal with the changes in how the suspension moves without any software updates.
            Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

meyerweb,

Good thought wonder if anyone with lighter aftermarket wheels has noticed any differences? Also what size wheels and tires did they use?

Thanks,
              Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Texas BA View Post
                meyerweb,

Good thought wonder if anyone with lighter aftermarket wheels has noticed any differences? Also what size wheels and tires did they use?

Thanks,
                Lee
                I received one set for my M7 Z06. I would call them a power mod.
                I did not dyno mine but Dyno graphs show they help as much as 16 rwhp plus the effect from the front wheels are not shown on the dyno.
                Actually pretty amazed at felt power increase.

Comment

Review of Forge line wheels! Very important mod are the Forgeline wheels to the C7Z06!
                  I see why 911's and Lambo's and other cars come with Forged wheels and a major reason why Corvette is not the top dog when the stock heavy cast wheels hold the Corvette back.
                  I feel the car gained a huge advantage with the light weight Forged Wheels. Stops better, Handles better bumps are softer and the car stays composed. Acceleration is quicker.
                  They just roll easier! Then when you add then to the Horsepower to 800 plus the car becomes a real rocket ship.

Comment

3 Z06ZR1,

Which Forgeline wheels did you get? I have been looking at the their "Flow Formed Series" F01 as they are 6 to 7 hundred a wheel instead of 8 to 9 hundred a wheel. I haven't checked the weight of each yet perhaps the more expensive wheels are worth it for the additional weight savings they offer.

What do you think? There are also other vendors but I do like the Forgeline Wheels as believe they are manufactured in the USA.

Thanks,
                    Lee

Comment

3 Z06ZR1,

Which Forgeline wheels did you get? I have been looking at the their "Flow Formed Series" F01 as they are 6 to 7 hundred a wheel instead of 8 to 9 hundred a wheel. I haven't checked the weight of each yet perhaps the more expensive wheels are worth it for the additional weight savings they offer.

What do you think? There are also other vendors but I do like the Forgeline Wheels as believe they are manufactured in the USA.

Thanks,
                      Lee
                      I bought 1 set the GS1R with center cap and 1 set of the AR1's about 1450 each. Mono block forged 21 pounds front and 23 pounds. 8 off the rear and 6 off the front

Comment

3 Z06ZR1,

Those are some expensive wheels but nice weight loss numbers with them.

Thanks,
                        Lee

Comment

3 Z06ZR1,

Those are some expensive wheels but nice weight loss numbers with them.

Thanks,
                          Lee
                          They are super quality. They look great, they make a big performance difference in power and handling and even braking.

Comment

3 Z06ZR1,

Great info I'll be looking in to them after I get my car later this year.

Thanks,
                            Lee

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
                              A random thought: I wonder if lighter wheels affects the ideal calibration of the MSRP, or if it's sophisticated enough to deal with the changes in how the suspension moves without any software updates.
                              The lightweight performance wheels give a much better ride with sharper handing and softer feeling bumps with less felt impact.
                              The MSRP actually can work and respond much faster and better. The handling and ride is improved 1000 percent.

They also quicken the step and the steering feel as well as looking much better. No doubt the stock wheels slow the Corvette down compared and take power away no doubt in my mind. Easy to see why Exotic cars include them as they offer a big advantage over the factory cast wheels.
                              A C7 Z06 equipped like mine is a far faster quicker machine from the stock Z06 which I am driving them every chance I get I can say Forged Wheels are well worth the money they charge.
                              Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; Today, 09:53 AM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X