Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Site Maintenance

Site maintenance will take place at approximately 2022-01-17 10:15:00 Pacific Time and should only take a few minutes. The forum may be unavailable during this time.
See more
See less

Most Successful C2 Racer: Met “Gulf One”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Successful C2 Racer: Met “Gulf One”

A Z06 special racer car that was part of a factory backed racing program in 1963.

We thank Muscle Cars and Trucks for educating most of us about this so successful C2 racer. They are a very high quality site; I get free their daily communications via email, and encourage you to do same.

While many knew about part of Gulf One’s success, this article rounds that out our knowledge quite a bit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9467E4F6-A0EC-4488-A6F1-A9EACC852CC1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	690.3 KB ID:	343906

Please read the surprise, at least to me, the article’s last sentence — which of course referred to the five super notable Grand Sport Corvette racers of the middle 1960’s.

The Z06 for sale to even regularly customers program started and ended in 1963. In total, just 199 were made and customer sold, this being total in its first and last year offered. Just one of which was a convertible. Gulf One was one of 14 specially prepared coupes; they hand-picked by GM, and sold to the most successful Corvette racers at the time.

As many have noted, re-discussed by GM as part of the C8 Z06’s reveal, most of the 199 buyers were folks who learned about that very model’s existence from a fellow race car driver.

Originally posted by MuscleCarsandTrucks
    MEET GULF ONE: THE BEST C2 CORVETTE Z06 EVER MADE

Such An Esteemed Racing Pedigree Doesn’t Come Up For Sale Very Often

Among those first 14 C2 Z06s was chassis No.2227, or Gulf One as it came to be known. In 1961, Grady Davis, executive vice president of Gulf Oil Research and Development had put together a program fielding Gulf-sponsored Corvettes in the name of product development.

The Z06 package also forced buyers to option the 360 hp L84 fuel-injected 327, paired with an M20 4-speed manual transmission and Positraction. Early cars had an extra-large 36-gallon fuel tank. It was the first factory-built, race-ready Corvette since 1957.

With **** “The Flying Dentist” Thompson at the wheel, Gulf One won its first two races before being prepped to FIA rules for the annual winter races at Daytona and Sebring.

At Daytona, the Gulf One C2 Corvette Z06 would place third overall behind a pair of Ferrari GTOs but would earn class victory in GT3. At Sebring the car would qualify on the front row, pacing a field of international sportscars and prototypes, but a gearbox failure would eliminate the car from contention. Following the race, Chevrolet informed teams and drivers that it was pulling support for all racing activities, full stop.

Gulf didn’t mind and continued to campaign its pair of Team Gulf Corvettes. Gulf One would take first place overall at the SCCA President’s Cup at Marlboro, Maryland, and the A/Production class at Danville, Virginia, and Road America. After the first year of the Z06 program Gulf One was the most successful of all the specially assigned Z06 cars.

In 1991 the car received extensive restoration in order to appear just as it did on the starting grid of the 1963 Sebring 12 Hours. To this day Gulf One is the most successful and well-documented of the first 14 C2 Corvette Z06s. The technology developed for this car was later used to help birth the prototype Grand Sport program.

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/...f-one-details/
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Thanks John! As always, great info...

Comment

Very nice article. This is where it all started for the great tradition of the Z06. I've had all the modern Z06's (C5, C6, C7 and soon C8 Z06). Sure wish I had one of these!!

Comment

I believe there will be 1 or 2 offered at Mecum Kissimmee in the next week. I'll be lookin' for a 'split window' but not one of these.....
        2020 HTC Torch Red with lots of goodies. Built in September. Museum Delivered in October......

Other toys in the garage: Ferrari California, BMW i8 Roadster, Bentley Flying Spur, Chevy SSr

Comment

Fascinating. I knew nothing about it.

Comment

Kissimmee LOT F157 Friday January 14th 2022 Estimate $3,000,000 to $3,500,000

Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

Gulf was big in racing back in the 1960s. Today, due to mergers and acquisitions, its only a trade mark. And its gasoline is not even TopTier.
              Expected build - 2022 HTC 2LT Z51
              Front lift, mag ride
              black exterior, adrenaline red interior, bright red calipers

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
              Working...
              X