MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Advantages of ME Over FE Configuration! Patent for Variable Width Spoiler

2 of 4 < >

C8 Caught In The Wild California Testing! Best 7 ME Videos! Inside BGA : Jagamajajaran’s Video

3 of 4 < >

2019 Grand Sport Drivers Series Officially Revealed Tomorrow. LIst of C8 Poential Patents. Considerations In Modeling The C8

4 of 4 < >

Site Maintenance Starts @ 5:00 PM Today

Yesterday’s massive software update resulted in 3 things needing help. Some already corrected. Today we get up to a one hour maintenance/update time out.
See more
See less

What Will Future Front Engine Generation Corvette Entail ?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I worked for GM 30 years, at my plant the last model we built we ran 4 different models. Arlington TX builds the Tahoe-Suburban the GMC side the Cadillac Escalade they did build pickups there too. GM has plenty of plants, they don't have to build the ME at BG. Remember they first started at Flint MI then St. Louis MO before ending at Bowling Green. And a Cadillac ME I feel this will happen, BG is making the engine already. They could have another plant like Springhill just do the ME's. Detroit/Hamtramck Assembly was a Dodge plant built in 1910, completely redid, first GM car that rolled out was 1985, they build 4 different models now, Buick Lacrosse, Cadillac CT6, Chevrolet Impala, Chevrolet Volt. Years ago BG built the Cadillac XLR too (2003-2009).

My plant they closed, now it's part of the Air Force base, but they built us a new Paint Shop 4 years prior of shutting it down, Shreveport shut down after us two plants that were pretty new plants.
    Last edited by 4U2ENV; 08-14-2018, 03:29 AM.
    Lifetime member National Corvette Museum #2588
    Retired from GM, Paint Dept.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulChristian View Post

This makes sense to me. GS capability has been elevated with the C7 and any C8 FE variant would satisfy the market of folks who prefer the FE layout and those folks who don’t want to spend $90-$100k + for a corvette.

This would leave the Mid Engine for the higher performance variations (ZO6/ZR1).

This makes sense to me BUT, if this is the case, we have not seen any evidence of the new FE car. They are developed well in advance so I think we would have seen one by now....unless Chevy plans on keeping the C7 around a quite a bit longer...
      I agree, if they plan on releasing the C8 FE a few years after the ME we may start seeing the mules after the ME release. Also if it’s in the evolution of the C7 they probably can hide it all under the C7 body and we won’t even know. Theres a lot more questions then answers so far!

Comment

At this stage of the C7 Corvette FE's life, there is no reason to expect a mule with a front engine format. The likely advances will be interior and body panels. This is easily tested on in wind tunnels and on a computer. One might expect a modified C7 that is then known as a C8 at any time in the future.

Comment

My prediction:

C7 Grandsport, ZO6 and ZR1 will continue production until 2020 model year and sell along side the 2020 Corvette Zora, which will be the C8 base car.

In 2021, we will see the introduction of the mid engine Corvette ZO6/ZR1 (or whatever they call the higher performance version).

No more FE corvette starting in 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulChristian View Post
            My prediction:

C7 Grandsport, ZO6 and ZR1 will continue production until 2020 model year and sell along side the 2020 Corvette Zora, which will be the C8 base car.

In 2021, we will see the introduction of the mid engine Corvette ZO6/ZR1 (or whatever they call the higher performance version).

No more FE corvette starting in 2021.
            Actually, I think if they limit the models of the C7 for sale it will be the opposite. The base C7 Stingray is the best selling C7, and will undercut the price of the ME by quite a bit. That's the modell they'll keep, if they keep only some. Getting rid of the cheap model will keep a lot of potential Corvette buyers out of the showroom, and that's not good business. The base ME will very likely outperform the GS, so why keep the GS around?
            SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
            27,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post

Actually, I think if they limit the models of the C7 for sale it will be the opposite. The base C7 Stingray is the best selling C7, and will undercut the price of the ME by quite a bit. That's the modell they'll keep, if they keep only some. Getting rid of the cheap model will keep a lot of potential Corvette buyers out of the showroom, and that's not good business. The base ME will very likely outperform the GS, so why keep the GS around?
              My argument stems from my opinion that the C8 mid engine base car will start at a price similar to outgoing C7 base car. Slight price premium over the C7 base car. Again, it is my opinion that what we are seeing in camo now is not a halo version or high performance version of the C8 mid engine car...it is simply the C8 base car (Stingray replacement).

Comment

I think when the wrapping comes off the camo laiden C8’s circling Nurburgring, we are all going to be very pleasantly shocked. There is not, in my opinion, a base model of the C8 that will start below $90k-$100k. In that scenario, the FE vehicles will absolutely continue to be offered. No reason to change when only a small percentage of Corvette buyer’s will immigrate to the ME.

Comment

If we are going to have two Corvettes simultaneously, I can't see simultaneous production and sale of a front engine car and a mid engine car going after what is essentially the same market segment. How about building a smaller, entry level sports/GT car along the lines of the Opel GT of 50 years ago? It was sort of like a junior C3. A new model could be based on the Cruze platform.

https://jalopnik.com/5943454/the-opel-gt-a-history

Comment

Camaro 7 th gen follows the format amd designof the ferrari portofino hardtop...

the sixth gen platform performs just about as well.

just needs an update on styling beyond its present retro theme...

2 plus 2 portofino would serve gm well as a front engine sports car.....with 911 like rear seats for whatever the customer wants.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X