MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

We are extremely pleased to welcome Kerbeck Corvette as a “Featured Forum Vendor.”

Kerbeck Corvettes has been the # 1 Corvette sales dealership since 1994. We are fortunate and excited that they have joined our MECF family.
2 of 4 < >

Stay Tuned As Chazcron Works On His Latest Project, The ME IP/Dashboard! Not New, But 48 Wonderful High Resolution C8 Pictures

Stay Tuned As Chazcron Works On His Latest Project, The ME IP/Dashboard! Also, High Resolution C8 Pictures!

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...f-the-interior

48 High Resolution C8 Pictures:

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...8-spy-pictures
3 of 4 < >

Scheduled Software Maintenance: Tuesday, 8:00 PM

We have scheduled software maintenance and upgrades Tuesday (19th) @ 8:00 PM. While vBulletin always say not more than an hour, they have averaged 10 minutes in length. Thank you — as we continually are committed to having the best forum software available.
4 of 4 < >

Welcome Corvette Dream Giveway As Our Forum Founding Vendor!

We welcome an outstanding organization as a MECF vendor, one who has an amazing and such a.well deserved reputation for giving away staggering amounts of funds to very worthy organizations who help others.

https://www.dreamgiveaway.com/dg/corvette?promo=ME2019C
See more
See less

C7 “Final Edition” Named By GM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many smart folks on this forum; so much to learn. Thanks Bikerjulio!
    So many questions about the ME right now, but the answers are nicely, though slowly, coming out.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

zr_kaizen posted this:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...dition-europe/

“While there may be a gap between C7 and C8 models in Europe, that's not the case for America. We have it on good authority that there will be some overlap between production of the C7 and C8 Corvettes for the first year or two of the mid-engined C8 car's run, with the high-performance Z06 and ZR1 C7 models continuing on as Chevrolet builds out the C8 lineup beyond the base car, which will launch first.”

Comment

If the C7 was continuing beyond the 2019 model year, I would expect we would be hearing about the 2020 C8. Get a C7 while you can.

Comment

The National Corvette Museum’s BASH event has been where GM has the last roughly 15 years, has brought out its next year product (exception new generation Corvettes which have been revealed earlier elsewhere), but even for new generation reveals occurring before the BASH, GM has had a tightly scheduled series of presentations at the BASH, including seminars, walkarounds showing off the new products’ features, and similar. However, if one looks at the agenda for next month’s BASH, there is nothing other than some GM representatives being present on the outside covered area showing current staff. There are no new product seminars on the agenda. There are no new “walkaround” time slots. Both of those have been used each year to present the next model year’s product, e.g., what is new and diffferent. Here is all that there is this year.
          8:00am – 5:00pm Corvettes on Display
          • GM representatives will be present to answer questions
          • NCM Plaza
          We are still driving 2,500 miles each way, for meeting up with Corvette friends is priceless. Also we are very much looking forward to hearing Kai Spande’s presentation on what is new at BGA.

Of course, we are having our Friday morning gathering of friends’ breakfast too.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...bash-breakfast

Here’s this year’s BASH agenda:

https://www.corvettemuseum.org/explore/events/

We can not wait to be at next month’s BASH.

We will be having a special MECF display area, featuring Brad66’s gorgeous 1966. And a little surprise that we are not yet ready to share (but soon).

We will be having a special outside MECF display area featuring Brad66’s gorgeous 1966. And a little suprise that we will soon share.

Can you please help if you are going, for we are looking for MECF’rs to help us out by being a forum rep at our display area, perhaps an hour on Thursday, and/or another hour on Friday. Please PM if you are interested.

Last edited by John; 03-13-2019, 10:49 AM.
          So many questions about the ME right now, but the answers are nicely, though slowly, coming out.

Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. Our 2020 ME C8 Corvette is next.

Comment

I came across this earlier today, some of it is rehash but the article was updated only 4 hours ago.
            Originally posted by autoblog.com
            "C8 Chevy Corvette has reportedly faced chassis twist, electrical, legal issues
            Rumors now figure an August reveal and Job One in December"

We'd been told to expect a standalone reveal sometime this year, and Sherman thinks that could go down at the 25th anniversary celebrations of the National Corvette Museum at the end of August.
            Originally posted by autoblog
            C8 Chevy Corvette has reportedly faced chassis twist, electrical, legal issues

Rumors now figure an August reveal and Job One in December

JONATHON RAMSEY
            Mar 13th 2019 at 8:15AM

• Mid-engine Corvette details
            • Production lights reveal themselves in new photos.
            • Image Credit: Brian Williams

Don Sherman at Hagerty said he "gave the bushes another relentless beating to compile an updated report" on what's been happening with the mid-engined C8 Chevrolet Corvette. Since it appears that General Motors is throwing a gaggle of new tech at the next generation of America's sports car, it's not shocking that there have been some teething problems. One issue was the electrical gremlins that made news in December. At the time, reports said excessive draw required a redesign of the coupe's wiring system.

Sherman's intel corroborates electrical trouble, saying it's part of GM's adoption of a new writing architecture. GM product chief Mark Reuss talked about the Global B electrical system in 2015. A Reuters report said Global B would "move much of a vehicle's computer power to the ... cloud," and in doing so enable over-the-air updates. To ensure privacy, it's said GM conferred with Boeing and militarycontractors about network security. Sherman wrote that "100 or more computer modules per vehicle communicate on CAN (computer area network) bus," and Corvette engineers are — or were — having a tough time getting all those nodes on the same team.

A second delay came from the power unleashed by the top-tier twin-turbo model with 900-1,000 horsepower, thought to be the Zora trim. Hard work on the throttle twisted the aluminum spaceframe enough to crack the backlight. A poster on Mid-Engined Corvetteforum wrote that this is an old issue, solved when GM put its Cray supercomputer to work to beef up the chassis. A poster over at Corvette Forum said insiders told him "that it is literally frightening to floor" the throttle in the hi-po model, and that GM "had a team of lawyers in to advise on the legal perils of selling such a potent vehicle for street use."

Another matter Sherman mentioned we can't even label a problem. Supposedly, designers had "some unspecified bone of contention" with the development engineers. But unless the designer also happens to be the engineer, that happens all the time on every vehicle. What might matter most is that at the end of last month, spy photographers caught a convoy of prototypes in San Diego carrying Corvette engineers Tadge Juechter, Harlan Charles and Alex MacDonald. And a week ago in Yuma, Arizona another convoy included none other than Mark Reuss in one of the passenger seats. Corvette watchers take this to mean the program is back on track.

We'd been told to expect a standalone reveal sometime this year, and Sherman thinks that could go down at the 25th anniversary celebrations of the National Corvette Museum at the end of August. His intel figures the base, 500-hp LT2 V8 version will come in between $60,000 and $70,000. LT6 and LT8 V8 models will goose the output in steps, up to around 1,000 horses. When the eventual hybrid arrives, it's said the electric motor powering the front wheels will "consume the (front) trunk space otherwise used to carry two sets of golf clubs in the base model." That sounds suspect to us, but we'll all find out soon enough. All will wear the Stingray badge, but Zora could be applied to the capstone trim.

Paperwork another user on Corvette Forum found has been taken to mean the C8 will start production in December. The country's largest Corvette dealer, Kerbeck Chevrolet in Atlantic City, New Jersey has begun accepting $1,000 refundable deposits for a place in the C8 line, and has put double-digit discounts on C7s in stock, with discounting also happening elsewhere as dealers try to reduce a huge C7 backlog. We suppose that means things are getting warmer. A little warmer.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/13/...rvette-update/
            Last edited by John; 03-13-2019, 03:29 PM. Reason: Thanks much Ripper. To make it easier, inserted the article within your post.

Comment

The sky is not falling. In fact, the C8 is moving forward. After all they call the process testing and development. They did find a frame issue caused by ZORA’s massive, approximately 1,000 HP/1,000TQ, and they fixed it; they did find an electrical issue and solved it; and they did have a third issue and they fully resolved it.

The future is very bright (not a cloudy and gloomy sky).

Comment

Originally posted by Ripper View Post
                I came across this earlier today, some of it is rehash but the article was updated only 4 hours ago.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/13/...rvette-update/
                I don't know any of that technical /engineering stuff that I have read here and other places about chassis problems. That said if GM is testing the HIGHER HP car does that mean the 500-550 or what ever model is still not ready? Why is the release being held up? Think they are just going to release all HP models at the same time? I thought we were led to believe that the "base" car first then GRADUALLY higher HP models would come later. Sounds like they are testing ALL models at the same time. Why am I in such a hurry to spend lots of money on a car?

Comment

It does not mean that the 2020 500/550 motor is not ready for next year. Yes, they could be testing all three versions at once just as you suggested.

Comment

This is a very simple matter folks. The emissions standards in the EU are changing for 2020 and the existing C7 will not meet them. Hence the "final edition." It doesn't mean that it's the last C7 in the US nor the Corvette in the EU. All we can do is wait and see what GM's next move is.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X