MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Z06 Reveal Live Site

2 of 4 < >

CORVETTE TODAY #80 - Meet Famed Corvette Race Car Driver, Andy Pilgrim

If you're a fan of Corvette Racing, you'll absolutely love this podcast! https://podcasts.adorilabs.com/corve...FH4VXOYBcu2ZSx. Your CORVETTE TODAY host, Steve Garrett, sits down with famed Corvette Racing driver, Andy Pilgrim, to discuss his illustrious career. Andy takes you back to his days in Great Britain, where he started racing motorcycles. He tells you how he got to the United States and how he got invited to be a part of the Corvette Racing team. Pilgrim talks about his 20+ years racing, his time at Le Mans and much more.

Also find out what andy is doing today along with his association with the National Corvette Museum and the Motorsports Park.
It's an fascinating listen about one of the drivers who helped kick on Corvette Racing on the CORVETTE TODAY podcast!

Listen Here: https://adori.page.link/corvette-today
Website & Merchandise: www.CorvetteTodayPodcast.com
Get email notifications: https://CorvetteToday.ck.page
Join the CORVETTE TODAY Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2718423201763136
Watch CORVETTE TODAY on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXC...SjjEXUt_UlOPPQ
3 of 4 < >

The Official GM Z06 Press Release Will Be Here Tuesday @ 12:01 Pm (ET)

See more
See less

Simulated Clutch Pedal Patent Pending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simulated Clutch Pedal Patent Pending

Thanks and credit to “-vet” that we have learned of the following: “METHOD OF CONTROLLING A TRANSMISSION TO SIMULATE CLUTCH PEDAL FUNCTIONALITY

Dec 1, 2016 - General Motors

Publication number: 20180156330
    Abstract: A method of controlling a transmission includes initiating a temporary neutral mode of the transmission, in which at least one clutch of the transmission is disengaged to prevent power flow through the transmission, when an upshift paddle selector and a downshift paddle selector are both engaged within a pre-defined engagement time window. At least one of the upshift paddle selector and the downshift paddle selector is held in their respective engaged positions to maintain the temporary neutral mode of the transmission. The temporary neutral mode of the transmission is ended when both of the upshift paddle selector and the downshift paddle selector are disengaged, by re-engaging the at least one transmission clutch that was disengaged to initiate the temporary neutral mode.
    Type: Application
    Filed: December 1, 2016
    Publication date: June 7, 2018
    Applicant: GM GLOBAL TECHNOLOGY OPERATIONS LLC
    Inventors: Orson S. Wang, Tadge J. Juechter, Michael G. Petrucci, Mark A. Vernacchia”

Here is the link to it.

https://patents.justia.com/patent/20180156330

What does this mean? Might is apply to a temporary interruption of power during the C7’s rev match process (as asked by Pigface1)?

Might it only apply to the C7? Any applicability to the C8?

Anyone?
    Last edited by John; 01-20-2019, 05:47 PM.
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

This would only make sense in a vehicle without a clutch peddle, but with a clutch, or 2 clutches, as described. So, C8 with DCT. Kool function, especially if the other DCT users have no such feature. Could be used for launching, coasting......what else?
    Black over Sky Cool Gray.....2LT.....Z51.....FE4.....E60.....

Comment

Thanks Meldoon. I had seen some articles talking about the coasting feature in the DCT that model was using.
      GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        ...a temporary neutral mode of the transmission...
        That's a nice feature. So, as I read it, I'll be able to engage both paddles and double tap the throttle as a salute to C7 Vettes that I blow by.

Or when driving below an overpass, and I get the urge to hear the reverberation of the Track Mode exhaust, I can pull in both paddles for a nice throttle double-tap, to enjoy the mighty C8 exhaust in Track Mode.

I hope they implement this.

I have to double tap in my C7 using that old-fashioned clutch pedal...

FYI - some Ferraris and Lambos achieve neutral the same way, by pulling back both paddles - don't know if this is a "temporary" neutral though.
        Last edited by Mobius; 01-21-2019, 12:15 PM.
        My C8:
        '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
        '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
        '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
        '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Thanks Mobius. Another informative post!

Comment

You'll never have as much authority over power delivery with the two paddles as you will with a standard clutch (where you can modify clutch engagement level through pedal pressure), but you may be able to use the temporary neutral for burnouts as well...

Scenario: C8 stopped in 1st gear, TC OFF, engage both paddles, rev to ~4,000 RPM, release one or both paddles, maintain ~4,000 RPM until you can no longer see though the engulfing white smoke...
            My C8:
            '20 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Coupe, Natural Interior, GT2 Two-Tone Seats, Performance Exhaust, Front Lift, Carbon Flash Wheels, Engine Appearance Package 2000 Status December 27, 2019; 3000 Status January 2, 2020; 3400 Status March 10, 2020;TPW March 16, 2020; Built June 4th, 2020 (COVID-19); Delivery July 1, 2020

Current Vettes:
            '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
            '91 Turquoise Convertible with Hardtop
            '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust

Comment

Launch control is another place where such a system would be useful in a DCT transmission. Our member “NewYuriCity” said it best and shares the following video with us.

Originally posted by NewYuriCity
              Yes, this is very very interesting indeed. This basically would function as an imitation/homage to the "double paddle" clutches in Formula 1 cars from roughly 2010-2015 I think:

This system wouldn't function the same way, but it'd be pretty cool to pull up to a stoplight, pull both paddles, floor the accelerator, and then let the last paddle out as the light turns green!
              ​​​​Thank you very much “NYC!”

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
              Working...
              X