Adnimation ATF

Collapse

MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 4 < >

Harlan Charles answers YOUR forum questions about Corvette on the CORVETTE TODAY podcast!

Corvette Product Manager, Harlan Charles returns to tCORVETTE TODAY! Your host, Steve Garrett, polled forum readers. https://anchor.fm/steve-garrett/epis...orvette-er100d
You'll find out interesting answers to questions like:
1. What are cold weather driving limitations for the C8 Corvette, if any?
2. Will 2021 C8 Corvette owners receive a "thank you" Corvette model gift too?
3. What are the differences between a Z51 and non-Z51 Corvette for street use.
4. How does the Corvette Team go about selecting colors for new Corvettes?
5. What was Harlan's favorite item that didn't make it to the C8?
2 of 4 < >

Last Chance: Enter And Vote February Photo Of The Month Contest

Tomorrow (Sunday) night at 9:00 PST the entering/voting closes on the February POTM contest. Thank you. https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-theme-yum-yum
3 of 4 < >

Harlan Answers Forum Questions @ 12:00:01 AM Monday On Corvette Today Podcast

Harlan Charles answers forum questions Monday @ 12:00:01 AM on Corvette Nation Podcast. Here’s the submitted questions: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...-today-podcast
See more
See less

The Corvette Debuted 68 Years Ago Today - January 17th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Corvette Debuted 68 Years Ago Today - January 17th

The Corvette Debuted 68 Years Ago Today

https://jalopnik.com/the-corvette-de...day-1846076525

Click image for larger version

Name:	068D3F59-0C1F-4F4D-8AB8-22255375E9B4.jpeg
Views:	3849
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	230196

On January 17, 1953, the Chevrolet Corvette prototype was unveiled at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel in New York City at Motorama. But the car that we recognize today as synonymous with (relatively) accessible sportiness wasn’t as loved when it first appeared.

(Welcome to Today in History, the series where we dive into important historical events that have had a significant impact on the automotive or racing world. If you have something you’d like to see that falls on an upcoming weekend, let me know at eblackstock [at] jalopnik [dot] com.)

Harley Earl, head designer over at GM at the time, was convinced that a two-seater sports car was the way to go, and introducing a good one could make an impression in what was then a European-dominated market. People were curious, so Chevy had to make sure it filled its expectations.

From History:
    The car featured an all-fiberglass body, a white exterior and red interior, a relatively unremarkable 150-horsepower engine and a starting price tag of around $3,500 (not including taxes or an optional AM radio and heater). In an effort to give the Corvette an air of exclusivity, GM initially marketed the car to invitation-only VIP customers. This plan met with less-than-desirable results, as only a portion of the 300 Corvettes built that first year were sold. GM dropped the VIP policy the following year; however, Corvette sales continued to disappoint. In 1954, GM built around 3,600 of the 10,000 Corvettes it had planned, with almost a third of those cars remaining unsold by the start of 1955.

To make matters worse, customers at the time just weren’t impressed with the Corvette. The fiberglass body suffered from poor quality. Doors could open while the car was being driven. Water leaked all over the **** place. GM did its ****dest to make sure newly produced cars didn’t feature those same issues, but it’s hard to correct a poor first impression.

That said, a Popular Mechanics survey released in late 1954 revealed that half of the Corvette owner who also owned a foreign sports car said the Corvette was superior to its international competition. Another 19 percent said their Corvette was, at the very least, on the same level as foreign competition. Apparently, GM was onto something.

And then Ford launched the Thunderbird, a rival to the Corvette. If it hadn’t been for a serious competitor attempting to occupy the same market space, we might have seen the Corvette taken off the lots, left to become nothing more than a footnote in automotive history. But with Ford waiting in the wings, GM had another stab at the Corvette.

I have to say that the investment paid off. The 500,000th Corvette was built in 1977, with the one millionth coming in 1992. The Corvette has become a staple of sporty Americana—definitely worthy of the foibles at the start of its life.

Elizabeth Blackstock
    Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Thanks meyerweb. Definitively a sticky thread for a while. If anyone missed it, the 1.75M Corvette was just six months ago, Wonder which of us will buy the 2,000,000th one. Oh we know the answer for that, that it will be go into GM’s Heritage Museum in Michigan where it belongs — though perhaps before then spending some time in the display lobby of GM’s headquarters Renaissance Center.

Here’s # 1,750,000:

Name:	A1BFEE52-316D-4F10-8427-4D3BD422E8DC.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	230198
    GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Thank you Meyerweb.
      Looking forward to our ME arriving.

Comment

WOW! How time flies..... I remember my dad taking me to the GM Building in Detroit when the Motorama came to town to see all the 'dream cars' and all the other stuff on display. I was immediately taken back by that white sports car on the turntable. I remember urging my dad to get on the list to buy one. At 6' 2, he said he was too tall and besides, it didn't have windows or door handles! He got another new Buick Riveria instead.

I may not remember what I had for dinner yesterday, but I sure remember that Saturday afternoon nearly 68 years ago..... and the many special drives we enjoyed together in the toys we acquired over time (all with windows and door handles).
        2020 HTC Torch Red with lots of goodies. Built in September. Museum Delivered in October......

Other toys in the garage: Ferrari California, BMW i8 Roadster, Bentley Flying Spur

Comment

No fanfare around the 1.75million? They should get a windshield sticker! I guess there is only so much you can do with only 5 minutes between cars.
          2021 Coupe, AYellow,z51,Mag,2LT,JetBlk,GT2,LIft,Dual RoofTransparent Deposit:4/2020; 2000=12/18/2020; 3800=2-22-2021;4200 3-1-2021

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
            Thanks meyerweb. Definitively a sticky thread for a while. If anyone missed it, the 1.75M Corvette was just six months ago, Wonder which of us will buy the 2,000,000th one. Oh we know the answer for that, that it will be go into GM’s Heritage Museum in Michigan where it belongs — though perhaps before then spending some time in the display lobby of GM’s headquarters Renaissance Center.

Here’s # 1,750,000:

Name:	A1BFEE52-316D-4F10-8427-4D3BD422E8DC.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	230198
            Sure it was just a coincidence that they were both white.

"The car featured an all-fiberglass body, a white exterior and red interior,"
            ............ What color will the 2,000,000 be?

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia384 View Post

Sure it was just a coincidence that they were both white.

"The car featured an all-fiberglass body, a white exterior and red interior,"
              ............ What color will the 2,000,000 be?
              As I recall, the 1 millionth and 1.5 millionth Corvettes were white convertibles with a red interior.
              Current C7:SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Status 3000: 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, FE2, NPP Nickname TBD

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

^^^^Then I think it puts it beyond a coincidence
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBFr...ature=emb_logo

Comment

Yes, the 1 millionth and 1.5 millionth were both white with red interior.

Here they are at the NCM. The 1 millionth after restoration from the sinkhole and the 1.5 millionth that was not restored.

Name:	IMG_0940r.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	230390

Name:	IMG_0936r.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	483.7 KB
ID:	230391
                  1966 coupe - Sunfire Yellow / Black
                  2004 Z06 - Millennium Yellow / Black

NCM Lifetime Member since 2003

Comment

Name:	FBF8E6B7-8EA7-4488-9074-BF9C90EF91D4.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	4.10 MB
ID:	230603 Very cool post, reminding us of the history of the car. I was lucky enough to get my ‘54 out today and run an errand or two in it.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X