MECF_728x90_top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Tremec TR-9007 DCT For The C8? C7’s Ending & C8’s Beginnings: Possible Options. ME’s Infotainment System Capabilities and Components

2 of 2 < >

Wish To Change Your Forum Name? Bob Lutz on C8 vs C7 Pricing; ME’s LT2 Engine Technology Enhancments!

It is easy to change your forum name. Retain your post count. Please PM “John.”
Chazcron’s Renders of Today:https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...w-gif-and-ones
C8 Just A Little More: https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...on-for-version
See more
See less

NEW 2020 Stingray Model Codes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW 2020 Stingray Model Codes

Thanks to Rick Conti for sharing that he found “some 2020 Stingray coupe and Stingray convertible model codes.” Well maybe it is that, or maybe something different, but since the 1YY is the C7 generation starting model code, this is clearly major and new information.

2020 Stingray Model Coupe Code = 1YC07

2020 Stingray Model Convertible Code = 1YC67

What is critically important is that the digit in the start of the VIN that is being changed is not something toward the end of the 17 digit string, but the third one. The first one is the country of origin being the U.S., the second one referring to our GM Corvette, and the third one refers to the model year. As a point of reference, every C7 entry Stingray has been a 1YY from its inception through the current 2019 model year. Here is some current C7 model code information for reference:

Click image for larger version  Name:	28B4D8C1-9588-44D2-96B9-ECB8E26D3C0F.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	368.5 KB ID:	23305
    ​​​​
    Here are the current Stingray codes as a comparison — from the GMfleetorderguide.

Click image for larger version

Name:	085A53AB-51EE-4AB7-84F6-B494034A7D3E.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	23307

Click image for larger version  Name:	2D961690-E3E8-4456-8603-C1825CA22E83.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	119.5 KB ID:	21686 Picture thanks to GM, original Stingray internal concept; sketch by Hwasup Lee.

Those codes however, are not in the GMfleetorderguide.com yet; again, they are different from all existing C7 codes.

Is this some part of GMs operation getting ahead of the some other parent, sharing info that yet should not be out, or is GM going to offer something as an interim product before the maybe delayed C8 comes out?

I asked this very question a few days ago this thread? In it, the “condensed here version” for it is a long thread, I suggested than since there is a possibility that the C8 launch, both the reveal and the start of customer production being later than many of us had first wished and wanted, could GM have chosen to show an interim, refreshed 2020 C7 Stingray up its sleeve??? I even suggested some physical changes for that refresh — again if the C8 is not coming out for a while due to electrical upgrades and/or further product development upgrades.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...h-both-changes

Again thank you Rick Conti for sharing what you found with us.

​​​​What do you think?
    Last edited by John; 01-16-2019, 06:15 PM.
    Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A ME C8 Corvette is coming next.

Interesting. Could "C07" imply the C7 version? I can't see GM spending a lot of money to revise the C7 for only one year, though. So if there IS going to be an updated C7, that implies to me that the FE car will continue in production after the ME is for sale.

Of course, this is all nothing but speculation, but it's fun nonetheless.
    SunKissed, my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible (One of about 40)

Purchased 5/2/2015,
    27,000+ miles

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out http://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
      Interesting. Could "C07" imply the C7 version? I can't see GM spending a lot of money to revise the C7 for only one year, though. So if there IS going to be an updated C7, that implies to me that the FE car will continue in production after the ME is for sale.
      This is a given!! Of course, there will be front engine models going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
        Interesting. Could "C07" imply the C7 version? I can't see GM spending a lot of money to revise the C7 for only one year, though.
        In the current featured thread, C7’s End; C8 Beginnings, if just the visual four changes are made (leaving out the 10-15 HP bump to the LT1 I also suggested as a possibility), GM could do the refresh exceptionally reasonably. The increased C7 pricing (which I confirmed results also for increased dealer purchase price and therefore GM profit), gives GM enough to cover the less than $1M incremental costs for those four visual changes.

And very nicely, again leaving out the potential power bump, assembly of those four would be either identical to what is now, or adding into just one new total component (e.g., the additional hood venting). Of course, GM probably could have several, completely-different, visual refresh components in mind.

I agree with you that such things as complete new rear and front fascias at over $1M/mold, or other expensive refresh might be off the table. However, as in that earlier thread, just changing out one gray color for another, changing Arctic White to Pearl white as the second color change, would not cut it.

Last edited by John; 01-06-2019, 02:54 PM.
        Excited owners of a 2015 Z06. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 20 year members of NCM. A ME C8 Corvette is coming next.

Comment

Alrighty then...... this changes everything!
          Real Corvettes have 3 pedals!

Comment

This is very, very interesting. This suggests there will be a completely new model, outside of the base "1YY07" model available in 2020. Keep in mind, the base Corvette has had the RPO code of "1YY07" since 1984 with the C4 Corvette (1982 base coupe had a code of "1YY87", with the collector edition having the first "1YY07" designation). Maybe this is some special edition of the ZR1 or another C7 that led to the rumors of the C7 continuing production?

Comment

I am thinking not, as Rick Contisaid specifically that codes were for a Stingray coupe and a Stingray convertible.

Comment

The logical conclusion at this point is that these model codes are for the the new ME platform and it will continue to carry the Stingray nomenclature.

Comment

Originally posted by jagamajajaran View Post
                  The logical conclusion at this point is that these model codes are for the the new ME platform and it will continue to carry the Stingray nomenclature.
                  wouldn't the ME be code 1yy?7 ? I'd think 1yc07 and 1yc67 would be some other change in the coupe and convertable respectively. My guess would be a GT version.

Has a C ever been used before in the third spot?

Comment

Originally posted by TOMDOM69 View Post

wouldn't the ME be code 1yy?7 ? I'd think 1yc07 and 1yc67 would be some other change in the coupe and convertable respectively. My guess would be a GT version.

Has a C ever been used before in the third spot?
                    The ME can have as many third letter variations as the C7 Corvette has. In the C7 generation, the base Stingray is Y. The Z51 Stingray is X. The Grand Sport is W. The Z06 is Z. The ZR1 is V. What Conti has said is that the 2020 Stingray Coupe and Convertible have a C. I can easily see GM using the C to represent the ME base Stingray, thus differentiating it from the Y FE Base Stingray.
                    Last edited by jagamajajaran; 01-06-2019, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jagamajajaran View Post

The ME can have as many third letter variations as the C7 Corvette has. In the C7 generation, the base Stingray is Y. The Z51 Stingray is X. The Grand Sport is W. The Z06 is Z. The ZR1 is V. What Conti has said is that the 2020 Stingray Coupe and Convertible have a C. I can easily see GM using the C to represent the ME base Stingray, thus differentiating it from the Y ME Base Stingray.
                      somebody above said they have been using y(3rd) for the base since 1982, but i suppose if you are going to change, the intro of the ME would be a good time. I'm hoping that you're right, but I'm guessing it's another variation of the C7. also I assumed you ment Y FE base at the end.
                      Last edited by TOMDOM69; 01-06-2019, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Good thing gm doesnt plan to put the 520 hp lt1 derivative supposedly planned for the c8 release a year early in a c7 grand sport...

sales would be off the chain..

Comment

While you have that perfectly, IMO that should have been done two years ago with a boost to say 480 HP with the LT1 (not the upcoming LT2). But that is water over the bridge, and with now all the testing, emission, fuel economy and related issues, it would not make sense to go through the testing and certification process for a six month or a one year long 2020 C7. That would not financially make sense, nor again do they have the team size and time to make that happen.

Also we have no definitive info that they are not going to continue the 2019 basically as is for an extended, say 18 month or so production process anyway, and introduce the ME at a 2020 whenever it is ready.

We sure have lots of questions without definitive answers right now.

Comment

Originally posted by TOMDOM69 View Post

somebody above said they have been using y(3rd) for the base since 1982, but i suppose if you are going to change, the intro of the ME would be a good time. I'm hoping that you're right, but I'm guessing it's another variation of the C7. also I assumed you ment Y FE base at the end.
                            Ah, yes, thanks for catching my typo. If they produce both C7 and C8 in the 2020 MY (C7 for a while, then C8 OR mixed) they would need another designation for the ME, which is one possible explanation for the use of the C.

Comment

Im sure you are correct about a new dervative of the lt1 today being to exoensive to pass government testing etc....still Interestingly the 1996 model year which was the final year for the c4....was 20 years ago was a one year run....

the manual transmission final year of the c4 was the hotted up lt4...a one year motor just coupled to the manual transmission c4...which acounted for 25 percent of total 1996 corvette production.....(minimizing government testing costs)

https://www.corvsport.com/chevrolet-lt4-engine/

could be a nice send off of the manual transmission...in corvettes ...

520 hp with a manual tranmsission would attract quite a few buyers as a last hurrah for the manual ...

slap it in the grand sport and see what happens...

the oress coverage would be extensive and the advertising would be free for all the car magazine covers...

i had always thought the c7 grand sport would have sold even better with an extra 10 percent hp...

i think and im not sure but 49 percent of all c7 sales last year were grand sports...

add ten perfent more hp for the final year would make for a nice swan song for th manual transmission and the front engine platform....

of course i know less than nothing and im just shooting the breeze.

personally i think gm should stop prodiction of the c7 by march...convert the plant and just produce a launch edition c8 for ease of manufacturing to get as many fully loaded c8 s to the showrooms for the launch ...

run them in red white and blue and one option code...3lt and throw in a free set of zora soft luggage ...as a kicker and move forward and fast..

c7 sales are in the dumper with a five month supply in unsold inventory..

Last edited by JB; 01-07-2019, 08:00 AM.

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X