ZR1 disappointing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZR1 disappointing

The ZR1 only ranked 11 out of 12 vehicles in Motor Trend best drivers car test.
    There is a madness to my method!

2015 Z06 Torch/adrenaline
    2001 coupe Torch/oak R8C
    79 coupe Silver/oyster
    All one owner
    Museum lifetime members

What's worse is the Civic Type-R with a 2 litre pulled it off.
    Rocket City Florida- 2001 ZO6 - 2013 427 Vert - 2020 Stingray

Comment

Motor Trend? OMG!!!
      2020 C8 Corvette.D.O.B 2/03/2020
      Shadow Grey Metallic on Black
      2LT, Z51 + MRC. GT1 seats.
      Spectra Grey Tridents.
      Carbon flash mirrors and spoiler.

Comment

I think this demonstrates the difficulty of controlling 750 HP in a front engine, RWD car.

Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Originally posted by meyerweb View Post
          I think this demonstrates the difficulty of controlling 750 HP in a front engine, RWD car.
          I agree, and think that we don’t have street tires that can hook up more than 500 hp reliably. Power without control is useless. I raced on slicks for 40 years, and my opinion is that street tires are a joke as far as traction, compared to the real deal.
          but wait, there’s more, GM and others know this, and added electronic nannies to reduce power to a level the tires can actually use.
          3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

Agreed. I've run slicks on a race bike, and the difference was astounding. That was a long time ago, and today's street tires (car and bike) are certainly much better, but when you need to make the tires last for more than a few hundred miles there are necessary trade-offs. OTOH, the Michelins on today's Corvettes are better than the race tires of 20 or 30 years ago.

As Carroll Shelby said, "There's no such thing as too much horsepower. Just not enough traction."
            Delivered 5/29!: Scarlet Fever 2021 2LT HTC, Red Mist Metallic Tintcoat, two-tone Natural w/ suede inserts, Mag Ride, Performance Exhaust

Gone but not forgotten: SunKissed, 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible

Proud member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club: https://www.olddominioncorvetteclub.org/

Never grow up - It's a trap.

Comment

Did all of the competitors to the ZR1 run on tires that are available from the factory on that model when it is bought new? NO

Did the ZR1 run on tires that are standard when the car leaves the factory? YES

There were other factors at play that did not result in a level playing field. I am not renewing my MotorTrend as a result of how this test was run, with different practices and standards among the test proce3ss.

Not saying that the ZR1 would have finished first had all been done as it should have IMO, just that there was no way it could have finished first as things were executed.

Another major takeaway, that overpowering a front engined, rear wheel only driven car is why Corvette is going to a mid-engine configuration. Hell, there are so many times that I have to severely modulate the throttle in my “only” 650 HP/TQ Z06, for if not, tire spin is constant.
              Last edited by John; 10-04-2018, 04:25 PM.
              GBA Black; HTO Twilight/Tension interior; Z51 & Mag Ride; E60 lift; 5VM visible carbon fiber package; 5ZZ high wing; FA5 interior vis CF; ZZ3 engine appearance; 3LT; Q8T Spectra Gray Tridents; J6N Edge Red Calipers; SNG Edge Red Hashmarks; VQK Splash Guards; RCC Edge Red engine cover; VJR illuminated sill plates. Lifetime, annual contributors, and 23 year members of National Corvette Museum. Home is the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Comment

And that is why we are buying a ME vette. Huge improvement over FE
                3LT Long Beach Red , Z51, FE4 , ZZ3, Black interior ,38S red stitching, Q8T, FA5, ER1, CFX, and R8C

Comment

MECF_728x90_bottom

Collapse
                Working...
                X